Being Well Read
What does that even mean?
I, for one, do not know. It's such a subjective designation. However, if I polled 100 people, I'd bet that there would be some common threads. Perhaps it is someone that reads a lot of books. Okay, but what if they're all middling quality or all in the same genre? Perhaps it is someone who has read all of the classics. What classics? Contemporary classics, historical classics? Fine, now we have to decide what makes a piece of literature worthy of being deemed a classic. Do we weigh the worth based on how well written it is, on how influential it was on literature or on the world, or something else entirely?
While I was pondering what makes a "good" tarot reader and whether I counted as a reader or not, my mind wandered to other things that I'm considered "good" at to compare. Reading easily came to mind. I've been a voracious reader since I was a child; I recall several instances as a child where I had read everything in the house and ended up reading the dictionary to pass the time. However, when I contemplated whether I would be considered "well read", I couldn't find myself able to definitively say yes. Sure, I'd read the classics in school, but I could hardly recall anything about them. I've read some influential novels and illuminating non-fiction works too, but is that enough?
So, I've decided that I want to become well read. I'm still working out what that definition looks like but I've started with some ground rules. I've looked up various lists online and did a little AI prompting to find out what books could cover a primer of the different styles, genres, eras, regions, and classics. I'm judging myself based off completion and absorption rather than speed. So, for that reason, I'll read what I normally read and add in a book or two from the list as I finish so I don't get bogged down and decide to toss the whole idea out. Once I finish the list, I'll have to figure out if any blind spots remain and fill those in. My goal is not to become an expert in literature in an any way. But, I would like to have exposure to all types of literature and subjects to broaden my understanding. Man, I sure sound like a nerd sometimes.
As I write this, I'm not sure if I'll update this post or create new posts as I read through the list. I'm also not sure if I'll do book reviews or round ups on a monthly or quarterly basis. While I feel ambitious right now, I do see some upcoming changes on the horizon that I'll need to adjust to first before I can commit to anything more frequent that I'm currently doing.
I'll post the list below so if anyone else has a hare-brained idea like this, they can skim from it. If there's something I'm missing out on, I'm happy to hear recommendations as well.
Books to Read (in no particular order)
- The Epic of Gilgamesh
- The Odyssey
- Antigone
- Meditations (Marcus Aurelius)
- The Tale of Genji
- Pride and Prejudice
- Jane Eyre
- Frankenstein
- The Count of Monte Cristo
- Crime and Punishment
- The Brothers Karamazov
- Middlemarch
- The Picture of Dorian Gray
- Beloved
- One Hundred Years of Solitude
- The Left Hand of Darkness
- The Remains of the Day
- The Grapes of Wrath
- The Bell Jar
- Things Fall Apart
- Invisible Man (Ralph Ellison)
- The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store
- Demon Copperhead
- Never Let Me Go
- Homegoing
- The Overstory
- A Gentleman in Moscow
- James (Percival Everett)
- A Wizard of Earthsea
- Piranesi
- Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
- The Fifth Season
- The Last Unicorn
- Project Hail Mary
- Stories of Your Life and Others
- Kindred
- The Dispossessed
- The Three-Body Problem
- Dracula
- The Haunting of Hill House
- The Shining
- Our Share of Night
- The Only Good Indians
- The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
- In the Woods
- The Name of the Rose
- The Silence of the Lambs
- Wolf Hall
- The Book Thief
- The Pillars of the Earth
- The Poisonwood Bible
- Educated
- The Glass Castle
- When Breath Becomes Air
- Born a Crime
- Know My Name
- SPQR (Mary Beard)
- The Warmth of Other Suns
- The Wager
- Caste
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Say Nothing
- The Selfish Gene
- Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers
- Thinking, Fast and Slow
- Four Thousand Weeks
- Outlive
- The Body Keeps the Score
- Hamlet or King Lear
- The Importance of Being Earnest
- Devotions (Mary Oliver)
- Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair
- Langston Hughes
- The Carrying
Comments
Post a Comment